DEF: : Lv1
    HP: : Lv1

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: King Hyde
    My Merc.: The King The King
    Pet: Reclamox Reclamox

Need Opinions

Post by Hyde on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Hey guys. I need your opinions on something.

So my own pokemon project is starting to get into some decent production, but I have been looking at something that I am not completely sure of.

For those of you who haven't heard, I am in fact making a new Pokemon video game. It is essentially the game I feel that pokemon should have evolved in to over the generations. Instead of being confined to the story of being a young child who travels the country by foot in search of pokemon strong enough to battle eight gym leaders, an evil crime organization, and the governing council of that country (Elite 4); you are now going to be pushed in to a vast open world that promotes exploring and making your own decisions to affect story outcomes. So essentially, Skyrim or Fallout with Pokemon.

Now, I am looking at different versions of battle systems to use here. Of course, we have the default pokemon battle system that everyone is used to. This is the most likely to be implemented, with a few little twists to it of course. However, I am looking closely at an ATB (Active Time Battle System).

ATBs essentially make battles much more interactive and engaging, closely resembling how pokemon fought in the anime. You don't so much as take turns as you do use your speed to overwhelm the other pokemon. Here is an example.

http://hyde9318.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d28b5r8

That little flash video is a basic example of what I mean. however, you may not see the downsides right away, so let me explain why this system could possibly be bad.

• The system has a hell of a learning curve. When you first start the game, battles are going to seem much more difficult than they should be. However, as time goes by and you get more used to it, you will become more comfortable. But mind you the learning curve can be quite steep.
    • With your attack ratio goes up with your pokemon's speed stat, it would mean that high speed battles could get quite face paced. So say you had a speed boosted Ninjask fighting a Swift Swim water pokemon, the battle would more resemble a dragon ball Z battle than the typical pokemon as your pokemon go hit for hit in fast paced combat.

Now, I think that giving the battle system this overhaul would really up the strategic aspects of the pokemon battle system instead of just have a set attack turn. Right now, battling in pokemon has become quite robotic, in my mind. Once you have a certain strategy, you kind of go into auto-pilot.

Turn 1, lay down spikes. Turn 2, set up weather. Turn 3, baton pass. Turn 4... and so on.

What this new system would do is make you prepare more for the situation. For instance, with this system, attacks each have a set amount of time in which it takes to activate. So your Venusaur is setting up Solarbeam, which would take a while to finally fire. As your pokemon is setting it up, the other pokemon keeps attacking you, possibly getting in two or three quick attacks before you blasted them. This would really make you think about which attacks you want to use and when.

So, my question to you is this...

Do you like the idea of this battle system or do you feel it would break pokemon?
    Evesa
    Lv2.125
    Lv2.125

Female Credits : 1801
    ATK: : Lv3
    HP: : Lv2

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Evesa
    My Merc.: Newb Newb
    Pet:

Re: Need Opinions

Post by Evesa on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 am

I say it seems cool.

Bushidos leader Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Censored
    Lv1
    Lv1

Male Credits : 1799
    ATK: : Lv1

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Lee
    Pet: Coming Soon

Post by Censored on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

I like this. A lot.

Pokemon battles would become more enjoyable since you get to interact with your pokes more often (I've always wanted to manually evade ; ; ).
    Kimikozen
    Lv1.875
    Lv1.875

Male Credits : 1842
    ATK: : Lv2

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Kimikozen
    Pet:

Post by Kimikozen on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am

I like this idea but what would happen for the laggy computers? They would be left behind, I do not have one because of this mac. But anyways I like the idea, keep up the good work

I am proudly Bushidos (Pokemmo popular team) officer.
    Deshar
    Lv2.125
    Lv2.125

Male Credits : 1817

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Zanik
    Pet:

Post by Deshar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Sounds good to me, reduce the chances Cense has of haxing evasion. Razz

My Mercenary Record: http://warfareonline.forumotion.com/t44-deshars-mercenary-records

Censored
    Lv1
    Lv1

Male Credits : 1799
    ATK: : Lv1

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Lee
    Pet: Coming Soon

Post by Censored on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Dood who needs hex, when your pokemon skills are as mad as mine. tongue
    Deshar
    Lv2.125
    Lv2.125

Male Credits : 1817

Mercenary Info
    Mercenary's Name: Zanik
    Pet:

Post by Deshar on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Censored wrote:Dood who needs hex, when your pokemon skills are as mad as mine. tongue

You.

My Mercenary Record: http://warfareonline.forumotion.com/t44-deshars-mercenary-records

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm